Shorts

FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH - KSEEB - WHAT IS MORAL ACTION? - FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH NOTES - CLASS 10



WHAT IS MORAL ACTION?


                                                                M.K. Gandhi


Give one-word substitutes to the following:


1.  The absence of government- Anarchy

 2.  A story that gives a moral- Fable

3. One who takes delight in the suffering of others- Sadist

 4. Making atonement for one’s sins- Penitent

5. A decision which cannot be changed- Irrevocable

 

Grammar Revisited:


A. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the verbs (present simple, continuous or perfect) given in brackets.


1. Sachin plays great innings (play)

2. “Look! He is going there (go). I see him walking this side every day (see)”. Yes, I too have seen many times here (see).

3. “Have you finished reading the book I gave you?” “No, still I am reading it (read). I read only half of it”, (read).

4. “Where are you going?” “I am going to school, (go) the asked H.M. to meet her” (ask).

5. My sister is studying medicine (study). She has completed 4 years already, (complete).

6. “Are you both still eating ?”. No, I have finished mine (finish) but Panka is eating still(eat).

7. Prices is going up (go) and it is very difficult to make both ends meet (be).

8. Look! That light has been burnt all night (burn)

9. He has been writing the essay for the last two days (write) but he has not completed it yet (not complete).

10. Ramesh has been studying in the same class for the last 3 years, (study)

 

B. Choose the most appropriate form of verbs and fill in the blanks:


1. I lit (light) the light at 5 and it was burning (burn) brightly when Hari came in at 7.

2. I was making (make) coffee when the light (go) out.

3. I didn’t want (not want) to meet Aziz, so when he entered the room I left (leave).

4. The car had nobody in it, but the engine was running (run).

5. My friend and I were talking (talk) about you the other day.

6. She suddenly realised (realize) that she was travelling (travel) in the wrong direction.

7. When I was looking (look) for my pass book, I found (find) this old photograph.

8. “How did you damage (damage) your car so badly? “I ran (run) into a lamp post yesterday.”

9. As I was crossing (cross) the road, I stepped (step) on a banana skin and fell (fall) heavily.

10. While the guests were watching (watch T.V), thieves broke (break) into the house and stole (steal) a lot of gold.

11. He discovered (discover) to his horror that his child has swallowed (swallow) a coin.

12. The little girl asked (ask), what had happened (happen) to her ice cream.

13. It was (be) the mad man who did (do) the killing.

14. Before I reached (reach) the class, the teacher had begun (begin) the lesson.

15. When I reached (reach) the bus stop, I was told (tell) that the bus had left (leave) already.

16. The test was (be) much easier than I had thought (think) first.

17. He refused (refuse) to admit that he had stolen (steal) the mobile.

18. He gave (give) me back the book, thanked (thank) me for lending it to him and said (say) that he had enjoyed (enjoy) it very much; but I knew (know) that he had (not read) it because most of the pages were (be) still uncut.

19. I thought (think) my train had left (leave) at 2 and was (be) very disappointed when I arrived (arrive) at 1.45 and learned (learn) that it just had left (leave). I found later that I had used (use) an out-of-date time table.

20. A woman came (come) in with a baby, who she said (say) just had swallowed (swallow) a safety pin.

 

C. Supply the correct Past tense:


When the old lady returned to her flat she saw at once that burglars had broken in during her absence, because the front door was opened and everything in the flat was upside down. The burglars themselves were no longer there, but they probably only just left because a cigarette was still burning on an ornamental table. Probably they had heard the lift coming up and had run down the re escape. They had helped themselves to her whiskey too but there was a little left, so she poured herself out a drink. She wondered if they had found her jewellery and rather hoped that they had. The jewellery had been given her by her husband, who had died some years,’ before. Since his death, she had not had the heart to wear it, yet she had not liked to sell it. Now it seemed that fate had taken the matter out of her hands, and certainly, the insurance money would? come in handy.



No comments

Please do not enter any spam link in comment box

close