Shorts

FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH - KSEEB -EYES ARE NOT HERE - FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH NOTES - CLASS 10




Unit- 6


THE EYES ARE NOT HERE


    Ruskin Bond


 


 Vocabulary Exercises:

Make sentences using the following idioms and phrases.

1. To see one off- She went to the bus stand to see him off.

2. To pull out of- The carpenters have been suggested to pull out of those unwanted furniture.

3. To take- He did not take his marks card yet.

4. To call on – Andy was thinking to call on Andrew on her birthday party.

5. To break into - Vagabonds broke into a mall.

6. To be deprived of-The policemen deprived us of our evidence.

7. In front of- Kumar is standing in front of a criminal.

8. To be covered with- His farm is covered with paddy.

9. To move away – He has to move away from his apartment.

10. To take up – The teacher advised to take up a simple science model.


  

Following is a list of words which refer to different sounds made by mouth and nose. Complete the sentences with the appropriate words from the list.

 1. We pant and puff when we are out of breath.

2. We splutter if we fall into water unexpectedly.

3. We sigh when we are bored.

4. We cough and sneeze when we have a bad cold.

5. We stutter or stammer when we have difficulty in saying certain words.

6. We sniff when we have no handkerchief and need to blow our nose.

7. We snore at night, if we lie with our mouths open and on our backs.


 Speaking Activities:

 Informal Expressions used in Conversation:

The following list contains informal expressions commonly used in conversation. Use the expressions from the list to complete the sentences given below. Do it in pairs.

 

i. Student: Sir, I’d like to know my test marks.

Teacher: I am tensed. I have not finished the valuation.

 

ii. Stranger: Do you mind if I smoke?

Girl: Well, I’d of course you didn’t.

 

iii. Wilma: I speculate, if I could make a request to you.

Rekha: Please tell me what I can do for you.

 

iv. Child (crying): I lost my pen in school.

Mother: Don’t worry I’ll buy you another.

 

v. Oh! Sweetheart, I think I left my mobile in the office!

 

vi. Ramesh (shaking hands with Rameez): How do you do?

Ramesh: How are you?

 

vii. Son: My bike skidded and both of us were thrown out.

Mother: fortunately both of you are safe.

 

viii. Kavya: Why not! You can take my notes home.

Zareena: Thanks.

Kavya: Always Welcome.

 

ix. Surya How dare you to say that I copied from your answer paper!

 

x. Rajesh , I should  take my studies seriously now on.

 

xi. Shyla: I’ll make some coffee for you if you don’t have any problem.

 

xii. Joshua: Would you like to have a piece of cake?

Noel: of course.

Joshua : (after Noel ate a big piece) Can you have one more piece?

Noel: Yes, it’s delicious.


 


Grammar Revisited:

Modals

How good is your knowledge of your class/ school?

Answer the following questions using only the expressions given below. Form groups of 4 each and read your answers to your group.

It could/might/maybe …………. (to express possibility)

It must be …………. (to express your conclusion.)

It can’t be ……………. (to express strong improbability)

 

1. Who is the most intelligent boy/girl in your class?

It must be Kumar.

 

2. Who is the most diligent boy ‘/girl in your class?

It may be last bench boy.

 

3. Which is the most useful subject of your study?

It must be Mathematics.

 

4. Which is the most unhealthy food your friend eats?

It must be burger.

 

5. When will you get your progress card for the next exam?

It might be after two weeks of the next exam.

 

6. Who is the heaviest eater in your class?

It can’t be Monu.

 

7. Who is the most responsible student in your class?

It may be Preeti.

 

8. Which is the busiest month of your academic year?

It must be in the month of February.

 

9. Who will be the top scorer this year in your class?

It must be Soniya.

 

10. Who has the most creative bent of mind in this class?

It may be Prakash.

 

 

B. Complete the following sentences with the most appropriate alternatives.

 1. _________ our many faults, our parents love us. - (c) In spite of

 2. It’s late to go for a walk now; ________ it has started raining- (b) besides

 3. Do you enjoy __________ cricket? - (d) playing

 4. We are really looking forward to _________ you again- (a) to seeing

 5. Esther __________ with the dog. - (b) made friends

 6. The balloon ___________ when the child stepped on it. - (a) burst

 7. He would have attended the meeting if he __________ time- (b) had had

 8. There were ___________ guests today when compared to yesterday, - (d) fewer

 9. “Where are you? I have been ____________ you the whole morning.”- (b) searching for

 10. Reaching the top of the mountain, we _________ energy left for the descent. - (a) had hardly any

 11. Everyone brought __________ lunch to the picnic. - (a) their

 12. The package containing books and records ______________ last week. - (b) was delivered

 13. Which hand do you write ____________? - (b) with

 14. Noel, the little ‘Power Ranger’ shot _______________ the criminal but he escaped. - (b) at

 15. I have been trying to learn to play the guitar for so many years, but I ____________ yet. - (c) have not succeeded

 16. It was difficult to see through the ___________ of the headlights of the vehicles. - (d) glare

 17. The idea of a balanced diet is very difficult to ___________ to anyone who is illiterate. - (b) put across

18. I had scarcely passed my twelfth birthday when I entered the inhospitable regions of examinations, through which for the next seven-year I __________ to journey. - (c) was destined

 19. Growing up means ____________ getting larger, using our senses and brains to become more aware of the things around us. - (c) not only but also

 20. I am not too sure but I think these are those books- (a) boys

 21. When asked about the mischief, the three boys looked at- (b) one another

 22. My first impression at the site was one of disillusionment. - (a) on arriving

 23. My good advice, Latha walked home in the rain- (c) Contrary to

 24. If you ask nicely, mothers will probably the chocolate. - (d) let you have

 25. Of the two toys, the child chose- (b) the less expensive.



No comments

Please do not enter any spam link in comment box

close