Shorts

FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH - KSEEB - THE GIFT OF MAGI - FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLISH NOTES - CLASS 10






UNIT- 3

THE GIFT OF THE MAGI

                                                                                    O. HENRY


IV. Vocabulary Exercises:

 A. Fill in the blanks with the phrases given in the box below.

 (beggar description, at last, made for;,’’ turn inside out, on the sly, on account of, give way, look for, be on the lookout for, to attend to)

 1. Della’s despair gave away to ecstatic joy.

2. The take off was delayed on account of the bad weather.

3. We are on the lookout for new opportunities.

4. Her conduct is so strange that it beggar description.

5. I have some urgent work to attend to.

6. At last we reached home.

7. The burglar had turned the house inside out.

8. Della and Jim were made for each other.

9. The two of them must have been ‘meeting on the sly.

10. We are looking for an improvement in our son’s performance this year.

 

B. Fill in the blanks with the antonyms of the words underlined.

 1. The iron rails expand in summer and contract in winter.

2. Writing a novel is a laborious process: it is not easy.

3. We should remain calm in adversity as we do in times of prosperity.

4. He is very proud of his team’s achievements but is very modest about his own glorious achievements.

5. The former option would be much more sensible than the latter one.

6. In Bengaluru, the value of properties has appreciated but the quality of life has depreciated.

7. Investing in shares requires prudence: investing all your money in shares is imprudence.


V. LANGUAGE ACTIVITIES

A. Dialogue writing: Pair work

1. Write an imaginary conversation between Della and Jim after they presented gifts to each other.

You may begin your conversation like this:

Della: Why are you looking so dull?

Jim: No, dear. I'm not.

Della: I told you, my hair will grow fast....

Jim: I know, but....

Della: But, what my dear?

Jim: What will you do with the gift I bought?

Della: Oh! The set of combs. They are lovely. I loved them.

Jim: I bought them for your beautiful hair.

Della:Yes, I know it Jim, don't you worry darling,

Jim: I will wear them.

Jim: Okay, when will you wear it...?

Della: I'm telling you once my hair grow.

Jim: I also loved you gift, my dear.

Della: I know but the watch has gone.

Jim: Don't feel so sad, love.


 Grammar Revisited

A. Subject-verb agreement (Refer to appendix II before doing this exercise)

Fill in the blanks with suitable forms of verbs

1. The number of visitors was really large in the last week’s School Day celebrations.

 2. The rapidity of these movements is beyond expectation.

3. Time and tide waits for none.

 4. Honour or reputation is dearer than life.

5. The ship with all the passengers was sunk by the enemy.

6. Intelligence as well as industry is essential for success in today’s competitive world.

7. Neither the hens nor the cock is in the yard.

8. Either James or I am going to get the prize.

9. Twenty thousand rupees is the price of a good mobile.

 10. The staff is in a meeting.

11. Mathematics is my favourite subject.

12. More than one person says so.

13. Many a flower withers unseen.

14. The most readable part is the last three chapters.

15. Ship after ship is leaving for America.

16. The secretary and treasurer have called, me to the once.

17. He is one of those who trust everyone.

18. Each of the boys sings well

19. Every one of the chocolates was stale.

20. All of the pies are spoilt.

21. Some of the pie is missing.

22. None of the garbage was picked up.

23. Either of us is capable of solving the problem

24. None but fools have ever believed it.

25. One of the students is absent.

26. Not only the soldiers but also the officer was drunk.

27. The politician along with the newsman, is expected shortly.

28. The pair of scissors belongs to my uncle.

29. A lot of work has to be done.

30. I wish I knew her address.



A. Inversion

Some phrase-openings require inversion of subject and verb.

E.g. At no time have I seen him so upset.

Make sentences using the following phrase openings. All of them require inversion.

1. Not only does he bowl but also bats well.

2. Not even once has the doctor visited early.

3. On no account let anyone know we’re interested.

4. Only by running at full speed we can catch the train.

5. On no occasion have I met my friend.

6. So badly I trusted her.

7. Seldom I have eaten this dish.

8. In no circumstances should you lend Paul any money.

9. Nowhere could they find a suitable cab.

10. To such a pitch we felt moved to do something to celebrate the premiere

11. Only on that account he would withdraw his money.

12. Only by paying double the money he can sent that have.

 

C. Add suitable question tags to the following statements.

1. You like me just as well, don’t you?

2. Let’s be happy on this Christmas Eve, shall we?

3. You like this gift, don’t you?

4. None can ever count my love for you, do you?

5. Its dandy, isn’t it?

6. Give it to me quick, will you?

7. Come in, will you?

8. Their gifts were no doubt wise ones, weren’t they?

9. They loved each other very much, didn’t they?

10. I look like a Coney Island chorus- girl, don’t I?








No comments

Please do not enter any spam link in comment box

close